Danny Welbeck and Tom Cleverley were absent as well as central defenders Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand. Cleverley, Vidic and Ferdinand all missed the weekend’s 1-1 draw with Southampton in the Barclays Premier League. Adnan Januzaj took part in the training session after being added to the Champions League squad as a home-grown player. Ferdinand and Vidic both missed Saturday’s game with minor knocks and United manager David Moyes had hoped that either or both would be fit for the mid-week visit of Spanish side Real Sociedad. Cleverley has been out with a calf injury, but it is not yet known why Welbeck was absent from the training session. The session did feature Darren Fletcher taking part with the whole group after several weeks working on his own to regain fitness. The 29-year-old midfielder has been battling a chronic bowel condition and has made only seven starts in the past two years – his most recent was on Boxing Day last year – but there are hopes that he could return to competitive action later this month. United should go into Wednesday’s match against Sociedad full of confidence as the Basque side have struggled in the Champions League, losing both their opening games, 2-0 at home to Shakhtar Donetsk and 2-1 away at Bayer Leverkusen. Press Association Four key players were missing from Manchester United’s training session ahead of Wednesday’s Champions League match against Real Sociedad.
Our beat writers discuss Syracuse’s (3-0) 80-67 win over Texas Southern (0-4) Saturday night. Tyus Battle scored 16 second-half points as SU pulled away to take the win. Battle finished with 21 while Geno Thorpe added 13 points and Frank Howard chipped in 12. Oshae Brissett and Marek Dolezaj cleaned the glass for SU, plucking 10 and nine rebounds, respectively. Published on November 19, 2017 at 12:24 am Comments Facebook Twitter Google+
United States swimmers Gunnar Bentz and Jack Conger have been prevented from boarding a flight by Brazilian authorities as an investigation continues into four team members allegedly involved in a robbery.It comes after a Brazilian judge ordered the seizure of the passports of the two others involved – Ryan Lochte and James Feigen – after they supposedly provided conflicting reports regarding their claims they were robbed at gunpoint by muggers during the Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.Six-time Olympic champion Lochte was returning to the Olympic Village in a taxi from a post competition night-out at the French Hospitality House on Sunday a, alongside team-mates Bentz, Conger and Feigen. Their taxi was allegedly stopped by individuals dressed as policeman close to Ipanema.One pointed a gun at the swimmers, it is claimed, before taking their money and belongings.It has now been claimed that little evidence has emerged to support the swimmers’ story, with a judge determining that Lochte and Feigen’s versions of events differ.“Judge Keyla Blanc De Cnop ordered US swimmers Ryan Lochte and James Feigen’s passports to be seized,” a statement from the Rio de Janeiro Court said.“Therefore they are not allowed to leave the country.“Decision was based on a requirement from the General Attorney of Rio.“According to the judge, there were contradictions in the swimmers’ reports.“Lochte said to the police they were approached by a mugger who demanded them to give all the money.“Feigen told they were approached by more than one criminal, but only one had a gun.“Judge De Cnop also highlighted the competitor’s attitude when they got to the Olympic Village as shown in the surveillance cameras.”All four had won gold medals as part of US relay teams.Lochte, Bentz and Conger were all part of the 4×200 metres freestyle squad and Feigen participated in the 4x100m freestyle event.Lochte has reportedly already left Brazil and headed back to the United States, while Feigen’s whereabouts has currently not been confirmed.It is thought that he remains in Brazil, however.“Local police arrived at the Olympic Village yesterday morning and asked to meet with Ryan Lochte and James Feigen and collect their passports in order to secure further testimony from the athletes,” said United States Olympic Committee Spokesman, Patrick Sandusky, regarding the ongoing investigation.“The swim team moved out of the Village after their competition ended, so we were not able to make the athletes available.“Additionally, as part of our standard security protocol, we do not make athlete travel plans public and therefore cannot confirm the athletes’ current location.“We will continue to cooperate with Brazilian authorities.”USOC confirmed last night that Bentz and Conger had been barred from boarding a plane.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram read more