Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
The home at 24a Cutts St, Margate sold for $685,000.A long list of extras attracted buyers to a new two-storey property that sold recently in Margate. The four-bedroom home at 24a Cutts St sold for $685,000. Abode Properties marketing agent Brendan Philp said he had potential buyers coming through the home every two to three days until it sold. “People liked the way it was finished,” he said. “It had a lot of extra features like the butler’s pantry, waterfall stone benchtops, a nice outdoor area and multiple living spaces including a media room.” The Margate home had a covered outdoor entertaining area.More from newsLand grab sees 12 Sandstone Lakes homesites sell in a week21 Jun 2020Tropical haven walking distance from the surf9 Oct 2019The home also had a custom timber island bench, luxury ensuite and a low-maintenance yard. Mr Philp said the successful buyers were a young family looking to move to the Peninsula.The Woody Point based agent said he was seeing an even mix of investors and owner-occupiers looking to buy into the Margate area. “It’s a good time to sell,” he said. “Buyer activity is strong and there is a lack listings coming on to the market. “There’s not a lot of choice so buyers are paying a premium.” The modern design proved popular with buyers.Mr Philp said Margate was in a prime coastal position 30 minutes from the city, which was attracting interstate investors.“They are seeing the area as very good value for money compared to what they can get in Sydney,” he said. Mr Philp said investors tended to be looking for properties up to $500,000 while owner-occupiers searched across all price points. read more
A forensic investigation led by Ernst & Young found instances of credit card theft at several USC Hospitality venues over at least a one-month period, according to an email from Dan Stimmler, associate senior vice president of auxiliary services. Credit card numbers were obtained because of a breach in third-party software that the university installed three years ago, Stimmler said to the Daily Trojan.Though credit card numbers were stolen, no personal information was compromised, the email said.The university received its first reported theft June 20 and contracted Ernst & Young the following day to gather more details, investigate who might be responsible and look into ways to prevent a future security breach, Stimmler said. According to the email, the investigation has found that the thefts began on May 21 — or possibly earlier — and ended June 21 after USC Auxiliary Services discovered the breach and shut down the system.The affected hospitality venues include the Ronald Tutor Campus Center, Seeds, The Lab and the Starbucks on the Health Sciences Campus.Celine Lam, a senior majoring in cinematic arts and a writer for the Daily Trojan, discovered her credit card number had been stolen when her bank emailed her early this morning to inform her that someone in Northern Florida had charged about $2 to her card. Lam, who saw signs Tuesday that said the credit card software at the campus center had been disabled, said the university should have told her of the situation earlier.“The notices up around the food areas only said the system was down, however. I personally would have liked to have been informed by USC as soon as possible if they’d been looking into this situation for over a week,” Lam said in an email.The email advised faculty, staff, students and visitors to check their credit card statements over the past few months and report any irregularities to their credit card company.“If you recently used your credit card at a USC dining facility, we recommend that you check carefully all credit card statements that you receive over the next several months, and as a precautionary measure, that you also check statements for the past several months for any unusual charges,” Stimmler said in the email.Stimmler said he does not have an exact number of how many individuals were affected by the thefts. But since the breach occurred after commencement, a time when many students and faculty are off campus, he expects the number to be smaller. Though the university is notifying impacted students, faculty and staff, university officials cannot contact everyone who was affected because of privacy issues.“We are unable to notify all potentially impacted individuals directly because the names of the credit card holders are known only to the banks that issued the credit cards,” Stimmler said in the email. “For privacy reasons, the issuing banks will not share names and contact information of the credit card holders.”The Department of Public Safety is investigating the incident independently, Stimmler said.No USCard information was compromised during the incident, the email said.Stimmler said that, for now, the university will continue to use the same software, but with new security standards. Stimmler also said that looking for a new long-term software partner is a possibility. read more
(Source: novovrijeme.ba/ photo avaz) The leadership of the NBA league is organizing a basketball camp for young European basketball players from the 6th until the 8th of June in the Italian Treviso, where they will have the opportunity to show their talents.There are three players from Sarajevo Spars, Vladimir Nikolić, Adin Vrabac and Edin Atić that will attend the camp as the youngest participants among more than 40 invited players.“On the basketball camp, which is the only official NBA camp outside the United States before the ‘draft’, are participating perspective young basketball players from all over the Europe, with this being their opportunity to present themselves in the best light in front of the NBA coaches, who might recommend them to the clubs” as announced from the OKK Spars. read more
Donegal Deputy Charlie McConalogue has appealed to the Government to halt its dangerous approach to policing policy.The Fianna Fáil Deputy has accused the Government of undermining the gardaí’s ability to keep communities safe by slashing resources, forcing major cuts to garda numbers, and shutting down rural garda stations.Deputy McConalogue was speaking ahead of a Dáil debate on a Fianna Fáil motion calling on the Government to reverse its slash and burn of community garda resources. The motion opposes the closure of 100 garda stations this week as well as the underhand reduction in garda numbers and the cuts to specialised garda units particularly in the border region.“I have spoken to so many people over the past number of weeks who just cannot understand how the Government’s response to the surge in burglaries, thefts and violent attacks here in Donegal is to dramatically reduce the resources available to the gardaí to allow them carry out their work,” said Deputy McConalogue.“The Justice Minister Alan Shatter needs to open his eyes and recognise what has been happening in Donegal. People are fearful in their homes. They need a strong and visible garda presence in their communities to deter criminals and to support vulnerable householders – not another slash and burn of community resources.“The underhand cut to garda numbers must stop. It creates dangerous gaps in our community policing and put enormous pressure on local gardaí who are already going above and beyond the call of duty. The gardaí, and communities, can’t take any more cuts. If the Government allows garda numbers to dwindle below 13,000, our force will be watered down to its lowest level in over a decade. “Let’s be clear about this. These cuts are Minister Shatter’s own political decisions and are not as a result of an agreement with the Troika or anyone else. No one is forcing him to shut down 100 garda stations. No one is forcing him to target the West and North West region for the bulk of these cuts. No one is forcing him to make such significant cuts to garda numbers. The Minister needs to admit he is making a mistake and support this motion this week.” ‘GOVERNMENT IN SLASH AND BURN POLICY ON GARDA RESOURCES’ – TD was last modified: January 29th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:’GOVERNMENT IN SLASH AND BURN POLICY ON GARDA RESOURCES’ – TD read more