Pan-American Games champion Fedrick Dacres dominated the discus at the Charlie Fuller Field Events Memorial on Saturday.However, it was a busy Warren Barrett Jr who had the biggest day on the expansive Manchester High School campus. Barrett continued his fine form in the shot put with a resounding win in the boys’ Class One event and competed fiercely in the men’s competition.Afterwards, the Calabar schoolboy said his main target is the World Junior Championships.He started the day with a loss in the Class One discus to schoolboy rival Sanjae Lawrence of Petersfield High.Then Dacres took centre stage. Defeated last week at the JC/Purewater meet by UWI training partner Traves Smikle, Dacres took charge in the first round with a spin of 59.20 metres and then pulled away with throws measured at 61.71 and 62.41 metres, respectively, in the second and third rounds.The 2014 Commonwealth Games finalist, Chad Wright, was second with a fourth-round mark of 58.27 metres. Smikle was third after a first throw of 57.42.”My first meet was a bit off, but I pulled it through today a bit,” said the discus ace.He expects to improve as the season goes on.”We’ve just started technique work, so I’m not really as efficient as I’d want to be right now,” he reflected.Asked about a recent knee injury, he said, “It’s getting better, but it’s not where I want to be.”With World Championships bronze medal winner O’Dayne Richards watching, Wright won an entertaining shot put with a smooth spin of 18.25 metres. Dacres edged Barrett for second by two centimetres, 17.66 to 17.64 metres.BARRETT-LAWRENCE CLASHThe Class One boys’ shot had been billed as a clash between Barrett and Lawrence, but the Calabar boy was off the mark quickly with a first-round blast of 18.47 metres.Lawrence, who put the shot 18.74 in Montego Bay on the previous Saturday, improved steadily to 17.85m, but that wasn’t even enough for second, as Kyle Mitchell hit the jackpot with a booming last-round shot of 18.48 metres.Fortunately for Barrett, he closed with big throws of 18.75 and 18.75 metres late in the competition.Barrett believes the throws against Wright and Dacres affected him in the Class One event.”It probably held back my performance in the Class One shot at 18.75, but I’m pleased, regardless,” he said when his long day of throwing was complete.”Over the World Junior qualification again, I can’t complain,” he summarised.He first surpassed the World Junior qualifying distance of 18.25 at the JC meet when he won the Class One shot with a massive last-round throw of 19.40 metres.Asked what his main target was this year, Barrett was succinct.”World Juniors 2016. World Juniors,” was his smiling response.In other events at the Memorial, Janelle Fullerton of St Jago and formerly of Edwin Allen took the girls’ Class One shot with a winning put of 14.64 metres. Tamoy Housen of XLCR won in Class Two with a best of 12.91 metres. Ardenne High’s Oggary Martin cleared exactly 2.0 metres to triumph in the boys’ Class One high jump and Faithlyn Irving of Holmwood spanned 5.19 metres to win the Class Three long jump for girls.
SAN DIEGO – In the biggest prosecution of U.S. troops in the Iraq war, the highest-ranking serviceman to face court-martial involving combat since Vietnam was ordered to trial for failing to investigate the killings of 24 Iraqis in Haditha two years ago. Another Marine was also ordered Friday to face court-martial for charges including involuntary manslaughter in relation to the killings, which included women and children. Lt. Col. Jeffrey R. Chessani faces charges of dereliction of duty and violation of a lawful order on allegations that he mishandled the aftermath of the Nov. 19, 2005, shootings, which followed a roadside bombing that killed a Marine driver. Chessani was commander of the Camp Pendleton-based 3rd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment that has been the focus of the prosecution. “I can tell you this decision by Gen. Mattis today is going to have a negative affect on all officers, including battalion commanders,” he said, adding it would undermine the trust between commanders and their troops. “Are they going to be able to trust the word of their junior officers, senior enlisted and junior enlisted?” If convicted on all counts, Chessani faces up to three years in prison.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! He is the most senior U.S. serviceman since the Vietnam War to face a court-martial for actions or decisions made in combat, said Gary Solis, a former Marine Corps prosecutor and judge who teaches law of war at Georgetown University Law Center. One of Chessani’s men, Lance Cpl. Stephen B. Tatum, was ordered to face a court-martial on charges of involuntary manslaughter, reckless endangerment and aggravated assault. He is one of four Marines originally charged with murder in the killings. The decision by Lt. Gen. James Mattis to send Tatum to court-martial comes after the investigating officer said last month that the evidence was too weak to prosecute him. But Tatum will not be tried on the murder count he originally faced. Tatum, of Edmond, Okla., shot and killed civilians, but “he did so because of his training and the circumstances he was placed in, not to exact revenge and commit murder,” Lt. Col. Paul Ware wrote last month in recommending he not face court-martial. Chessani’s civilian defense attorney, Brian Rooney, told The Associated Press he was disappointed with the general’s recommendation. read more