DAVENPORT, Iowa – Karl Chevrolet Northern SportMods take the spotlight in a $2,000 to win main event this Friday, June 13 at Davenport Speedway.The IMCA SportMod Challenge will use a draw/redraw format and all racing will be on the 1/4-mile dirt oval.Pit gates will open at 4:30 p.m. and the grandstand will open at 5 p.m., with hot laps at 6:30 p.m. and racing at 7 p.m. Also on the card that evening will be IMCA Xtreme Motor Sports Modifieds, IMCA Late Models, street stocks and 4-stocks. For additional information, visit the new website at DavenportSpeedway.com or call 563 652-5302. Race day weather information is available by calling 563 326-5338.Davenport Speedway is located at the Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds, on West Locust Street.
A graduate of Chelsea’s academy, the 26-year-old ended a string of loans by making a permanent move away from Stamford Bridge in 2011. Cork went on to play a key role in Southampton’s promotion that season and helped the club establish themselves as a Premier League force, before deciding to move on to pastures new in January. Press Association Jack Cork’s fine form could see the Swansea midfielder receive a maiden England call-up next week, but Southampton manager Ronald Koeman has no regrets about letting him go earlier this year. “That’s true, 30 or 35 minutes is not enough to win, not against Man United, not against Swansea,” the Dutchman said. “You need more time in the game on your level and you can’t do the mistake we did because you can’t win. “Look back to the first half against Man United and Wednesday, we are in a good way now to show and to win the game we need to win to move up the table.” Frustrated at a lack of regular first-team football and with his contract running down, the midfielder plumped for a move to the Liberty Stadium on a three-and-a-half year deal. It has proved a shrewd move and Roy Hodgson has been so impressed that Cork could now be handed his first Three Lions call-up, not that Saints boss Koeman regrets allowing him to leave. “No, I think Jack is doing well,” he said. “He looks that he is winning the competition with the rest of the midfield players in Swansea. “We know his quality, he’s an experienced player, a very good professional, but the time he choose to leave the club he wasn’t first choice on the midfield. “We have a lot of good midfield players, we spoke about it and finally he took the decision to leave the club. He’s doing well and that’s very positive for him.” Cork returns to St Mary’s after being rested against Hull in midweek, when the 2013 Capital One Cup winners crashed out at the third-round stage. Saints, by contrast, won 6-0 on their trip to Championship opposition, but now need to replicate the form shown against MK Dons in the league. Koeman’s men have secured just one Premier League victory this season and fizzled out after a fine start against Manchester United last weekend, ending up 3-2 losers. read more
Comments CLEMSON, S.C.— After Syracuse’s 27-23 loss at Clemson, head coach Dino Babers didn’t say his team earned respect. He didn’t say that losing by four points to a team oddsmakers had favored by 25 proved anything. They don’t want superficial accolades. They want to win.“If we want to be winners, we can’t stay on this track,” Babers said. “2016, 2017, (if) we want 2018 to be different, then we need to act differently.”Babers may be right. In the grand scheme of Syracuse’s record, Saturday goes down as a loss. Syracuse is 4-1. There is no asterisk next to the loss for a valiant effort. But that doesn’t mean the Orange didn’t prove something.In 2018, Syracuse has bucked the trend of its first two years under Babers. The Orange started 4-0 for the first time since 1991. They beat Florida State for the second time in program history. The defense has forced more turnovers than it did in all of 2017. Syracuse received AP votes. And on Saturday in Death Valley, where Syracuse was less than a quarter away from defeating a top three team on the road, for the first time ever, SU once again didn’t appear like past teams.“Just looking around the locker room,” said four-year starting quarterback Eric Dungey, “It’s different.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textEarly in the fourth quarter, Dungey swung his arms at the screaming Syracuse fans in one corner of Memorial Stadium. The rest of the more than 80,000 onlookers stood silent, pondering how Syracuse, a team which had won four games each of the last two seasons, could be leading by 10 in the game’s final frame.Moments earlier Dungey capped off a four-play, 10-yard drive with a rushing touchdown in which he leapt for the goal line, came down unsuccessfully and then burst through on a second effort for one of his two rushing touchdowns.The last time Syracuse played Clemson in Death Valley in 2016, the Orange lost 54-0, and Dungey didn’t finish the first half.“At the end of the day we should have some confidence moving forward,” Dungey said. “Especially if we can come down here to Death Valley, one of the toughest places to play in the nation, against one of the toughest teams, and you know we were right there with them today.”More than 80,000 fans were at Memorial Stadium on Saturday to see Clemson sneak by Syracuse. Paul Schlesinger | Staff PhotographerAgainst Clemson in 2016, the Orange didn’t cause a turnover. On Saturday, the Orange, which has turned the ball over on opponents at an unprecedented pace this season, forced three. One came just before Dungey’s second touchdown — a muffed punt from Amari Rodgers. Another came from a Trill Williams interception, and the third happened early in the game off a bobbled read option, which led to an SU field goal.Syracuse had more sacks against Clemson (4) than it averaged per game (3.25) through the first four games of the year. First it was Chris Slayton, who used a simple power push at his opposition’s shoulder to create the separation needed to drop Clemson quarterback Trevor Lawrence.Later the pressure led Lawrence to scramble out of the pocket, where he was tripped by defensive linemen Josh Black and finished off by safety Evan Foster. Lawrence wouldn’t return from that hit. Instead, Chase Brice came in and on his second pass, felt the same pressure Lawrence had. On Brice’s second drop back, Kendall Coleman faked inside, before beating the left tackle outside and getting to the redshirt freshman quarterback.The last time Syracuse played at Death Valley, it didn’t record a sack.“This is just a better group than we had when we came down here the last time, when it comes to a mental standpoint and a physical standpoint,” Coleman said. “Probably a major part of that is the fact that we’ve playing together for so long, and we have that trust built into each other now.”Talia Trackim | Senior Design EditorWilliams’ interception, along with six solo tackles — more than one of which came along the line of scrimmage — from safety Andre Cisco, showed growth for the young secondary. On offense, Taj Harris caught three balls for 66 yards, including a 51-yard bomb where the freshman receiver bobbled the ball and nearly dropped it, before reeling it in.“Yeah, I feel like our freshman class is very ready to play,” Harris said. “You can see it since camp, all through summer we grinded and grinded and grinded, and we’re just waiting for our numbers to get called, really.”Syracuse entered the game averaging 1.75 sacks allowed per game. Against a Tiger group which features four potential first-round draft picks and averages four sacks per game, the Orange allowed one. And that sack didn’t come until Syracuse’s final drive with under a minute remaining.While none of the Tigers’ four preseason All-ACC defensive linemen registered a sack — leading to 250 yards passing on 26-41 throwing for Dungey — all but one of the linemen was in on a tackle for a loss as the Orange rushed for 68 yards. Clemson rushed for 293.And that’s what seemed to stick with SU’s players after the game. Redshirt senior offensive tackle Koda Martin acknowledged the offensive line had good moments. But the times they couldn’t stay on blocks bothered him more. Like his father-in-law, Martin preached focusing on Syracuse’s next game and having a “1-0 mentality.”And that’s fair. Syracuse, as a team, doesn’t have to celebrate a loss. It shouldn’t. In a narrow lens, this game is just another demerit to the season’s record.But take a step back. For the first time since 1991, SU’s first loss of the year came more than a third of the way into its season. Babers admitted after the game that his team is “moving in the right direction.” And even though Syracuse lost, season-long trends continued.That’s promising.Josh Schafer is the sports editor for The Daily Orange, where his column appears occasionally. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or @Schafer_44. Published on September 29, 2018 at 7:00 pm Facebook Twitter Google+ read more
Mon Repos fatal shootingThe reputed wife of murdered Mon Repos, East Coast Demerara handyman Christopher Swamy has positively identified a suspect — arrested on Sunday following the shooting — as one of the gunmen involved in the shooting death of her husband.This development has been confirmed by ‘C’ Division Commander Calvin Brutus during a telephone interview with Guyana Times on Monday. Commander Brutus said the suspect was picked out during an identification parade on Monday, but reportedly gave Police several alibis, which they are probing.Brutus further informed that the home of the alleged perpetrator has beenDead: Christopher Swamysearched by Police, but nothing evidential was found. He, however, added that the Police would continue their hunt for the second suspect.Guyana Times understands that the suspect is holding out that he was not at Swamy’s home when Swamy was gunned down.The father of two was gunned down on Sunday after four armed men invaded his Lot 161 Mon Repos Pasture, East Coast Demerara (ECD) property.Based on information received, the late Swamy, his wife, his sister-in-law, and friends: 28-year-old Rawle Williams and his spouse Marcia Williams, 38, were liming and imbibing in front of the home when, at about 01:30h, they were confronted by two masked men, one of whom was brandishing a handgun.Police say the suspects relieved Marcia Williams of a cellphone and an undisclosed sum of cash, after which they assaulted her husband to the head. It was during the commotion that Swamy was shot to the chest. The men then fled the scene.Swamy and Williams were rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital, where Swamy was pronounced dead on arrival and Williams was admitted.A post mortem performed by Dr Nehaul Singh on the body of Christopher Swamy gave the cause of Swamy’s death as gunshot wound to the left chest. In addition, a warhead has been recovered from Swamy’s body. Investigations are ongoing. read more