A forensic investigation led by Ernst & Young found instances of credit card theft at several USC Hospitality venues over at least a one-month period, according to an email from Dan Stimmler, associate senior vice president of auxiliary services. Credit card numbers were obtained because of a breach in third-party software that the university installed three years ago, Stimmler said to the Daily Trojan.Though credit card numbers were stolen, no personal information was compromised, the email said.The university received its first reported theft June 20 and contracted Ernst & Young the following day to gather more details, investigate who might be responsible and look into ways to prevent a future security breach, Stimmler said. According to the email, the investigation has found that the thefts began on May 21 — or possibly earlier — and ended June 21 after USC Auxiliary Services discovered the breach and shut down the system.The affected hospitality venues include the Ronald Tutor Campus Center, Seeds, The Lab and the Starbucks on the Health Sciences Campus.Celine Lam, a senior majoring in cinematic arts and a writer for the Daily Trojan, discovered her credit card number had been stolen when her bank emailed her early this morning to inform her that someone in Northern Florida had charged about $2 to her card. Lam, who saw signs Tuesday that said the credit card software at the campus center had been disabled, said the university should have told her of the situation earlier.“The notices up around the food areas only said the system was down, however. I personally would have liked to have been informed by USC as soon as possible if they’d been looking into this situation for over a week,” Lam said in an email.The email advised faculty, staff, students and visitors to check their credit card statements over the past few months and report any irregularities to their credit card company.“If you recently used your credit card at a USC dining facility, we recommend that you check carefully all credit card statements that you receive over the next several months, and as a precautionary measure, that you also check statements for the past several months for any unusual charges,” Stimmler said in the email.Stimmler said he does not have an exact number of how many individuals were affected by the thefts. But since the breach occurred after commencement, a time when many students and faculty are off campus, he expects the number to be smaller. Though the university is notifying impacted students, faculty and staff, university officials cannot contact everyone who was affected because of privacy issues.“We are unable to notify all potentially impacted individuals directly because the names of the credit card holders are known only to the banks that issued the credit cards,” Stimmler said in the email. “For privacy reasons, the issuing banks will not share names and contact information of the credit card holders.”The Department of Public Safety is investigating the incident independently, Stimmler said.No USCard information was compromised during the incident, the email said.Stimmler said that, for now, the university will continue to use the same software, but with new security standards. Stimmler also said that looking for a new long-term software partner is a possibility.
A Donegal school principal who escaped a custodial sentence after stealing more than €200,000 from his school has been put behind bars.Finbarr Boyle, with an address in Ballybofey, had pleaded guilty to five counts of theft and two counts of forgery while he was principal at Kilnaleck National School in Co Cavan between 2007 and 2012. However, he escaped going to prison after his sentence was fully suspended on condition he repay €25,000 by Judge John Aylmer at Cavan Circuit Criminal Court on March 15, 2018.But the Court of Appeal today found that Boyle’s sentence to be “unduly lenient” today.He was jailed for 15 months today and taken into custody immediately.See background story https://www.donegaldaily.com/2019/05/13/donegal-school-principal-who-swindled-e200k-to-have-appeal-heard-today/Donegal school principal jailed for 15 months for €200k theft was last modified: May 14th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BallybofeycourtFinbarr Boyleschool principal read more
A man whom Warriors star Kevin Durant referred to as his adopted brother was shot and killed outside a metro Atlanta bar early Thursday, according to multiple media outlets.Clifford Dixon was out celebrating his 32nd birthday, according to BET. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported he was shot multiple times in the parking lot of SL Lounge just after 1 a.m.Dixon was taken to Grady Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, TMZ Sports reported.In an Instagram post, Dixon promoted … read more
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Each year as May and June arrives most cow/calf owners are making hay in preparation for their livestock’s winter forage needs. The 2015 season was no exception.Producers watched weather forecasts looking for those three-day windows of opportunity to get their hay cut, dry and baled. As usual, there were a few chances near the end of May and maybe one or two windows in early June to make hay, but then precipitation seemed to occur almost daily. The wettest June on record was recorded in 2015, according to some local weather stations, and the rainy weather pattern continued for more than a month. This caused the majority of Ohio farmers’ first cutting hay to be made in late July and August.Many years of data and forage tests are available that show how the quality of a forage, such as hay, decline as the plants become more mature. A series of forage tests from two eastern Ohio studies, conducted several years apart and in different locations, indicate nearly identical results. Forage quality in early May was very high with crude protein (CP) levels reaching greater than 24%, but tonnage/quantity was very low ( less than a ton per acre).The samples taken the last of May and first week of June showed the tonnage/quantity had increased significantly (greater than 2.5 tons per acre), but forage quality decreased and CP levels were then down to 12.6%. Even though the level of nutrients in those late May and early June sampled forages were decreasing, they were still sufficient for beef cows in the last third of pregnancy and the early lactation stage.However, by June 15 in both studies, quality values really plummeted. Tests revealed that CP levels went down to 7.6% or less and that would have made the hay deficient in nutrients for late pregnancy or lactating cows. Tonnage/quantity sampling at that time indicated there was still a slight increase being accumulated, but it leveled off quickly.So what is the quality of your hay from 2015? The best way to find out is to take forage samples from your bales and have laboratory analysis done. Sampling multiple lots of hay would provide the best picture of your overall situation and provide information for you to make the best use of the forages. Different production dates, the variation of grass versus the amount of legume composition in fields or different rates of fertilizer applied could all be reasons for sampling multiple lots of hay.One thing to remember, forage analysis results are only as good as the samples taken. A good fact sheet describing sampling technique may be found at http://ohioline.osu.edu/anr-fact/0002.html. read more
Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games Read Next WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding Silver lining It’s a learning experience, says Philippines top scorer Alyssa Valdez of the team’s stint in the tournament.BIÑAN, LAGUNA—Chinese Taipei earned a shot at fifth place in the AVC Asian Senior Women’s Volleyball Championship after taking down host Philippines, 25-20, 25-19, 25-19, in the classification stage Wednesday at Alonte Sports Arena here.The 55th-ranked team in the world is set to face Vietnam for the battle for the fifth spot while the Philippines will once again match up against Kazakhstan for a crack at seventh.ADVERTISEMENT Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:56Valdez, PH volleybelles stay positive despite ‘frustrating’ losses01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief Man sworn in as lawyer by judge who sentenced him to prison as a teen 20 years ago LATEST STORIES The Philippines had the early momentum in the third set, putting up a 10-4 lead, but Chinese Taipei scored seven straight to take an 11-10 lead.Alyssa Valdez, who had 13 points to lead the Philippines, was disappointed at squandering their edge but said they have to move on and end the tournament on a positive note.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“We definitely wanted to win, but we just couldn’t hold on,” said Valdez in Filipino. “But, again, this is a learning experience because there was the regret because it would’ve been a huge difference if we were able to get at least one set. But we’re here and we just have to accept the loss and move forward.” Flags of SEA Games countries raised at Athletes Village UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension View comments Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC MOST READ read more
Read Next Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Marbury had a few stellar seasons in China after an NBA career that included stints with five teams, and he’s become an iconic figure in the country. He has a statue and was featured on a postage stamp in Beijing, and then he got a museum and a musical in his honor. He even starred in an autobiographical movie titled “My Other Home” and won Best New Actor for his performance at the Shanghai Film Festival.“I never in a million years would have thought any of this would have happened,” he said.Marbury’s playing days will end after this season, but the 40-year-old New York native will stay near the game. He wants to coach the Chinese national team, and Yao Ming has told him he’ll be considered if he learns Chinese. Marbury plans to take classes during the upcoming season. He may also try his hand in the Big3 3-on-3 league.“Basketball is my life and I definitely will still be involved with it,” Marbury said.Marbury also has his Starbury athletic shoe and clothing company to keep him busy. He re-launched the Starbury brand in 2016 after it first hit the market in 2006. His shoes are sold for as low as $15.ADVERTISEMENT Finally finished: Cavs-Celtics modify, complete big trade Marbury was speaking at a question and answer session for incoming NYU students at the school Wednesday, touching on his career with the Beijing Ducks that included the franchise’s first championship in 2012.“I had no clue. I couldn’t stop crying,” Marbury said of meeting Zhou . “I know how he feels, and he’s sharing the feeling of how happy he is. It goes to show the level of respect and love that comes from winning championships. Being a New Yorker, it’s like if the Knicks won a championship for the first time.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutZhou, who was holding a scarf emblazoned with the city’s soccer team, Beijing Guoan, didn’t know Marbury would be speaking at an NYU dorm until Tuesday.“It was like a dream come true meeting him,” Zhou said. Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles01:43Who are Filipinos rooting for in the NBA Finals?00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games MOST READ “We understand the dynamics of what we need for the shoes to be made and get them to our warehouse,” Marbury said. “The way social (media) is and how platforms are set up with Instagram and Facebook. It’s the perfect time for us to be able to sell the products we have. People can buy products so fast with just three or four clicks. It’s amazing for us with impulse buying. The timing couldn’t have been better for us.”He gave out sneakers to all the NYU students at the event and spoke of how he still wants to make affordable shoes.“I grew up one of seven kids and my mom couldn’t afford to get us any of the $150 shoes,” he said. “I want to make sure that people can always have affordable shoes to wear.”He respects what LaVar Ball and his sons are trying to do by building their own brand from scratch, but he thinks they’re off in pricing their sneakers at $500.“I think that’s where the message is a little mixed up at,” Marbury said. “Where they’re making people make a decision is where the price comes in.” SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief Former NBA basketball player Stephon Marbury, left, talks to NYU freshmen at a question and answer session Wednesday, Aug. 30, 2017, in New York. Marbury gave all the people in attendance a pair of his Starbury sneakers. Marbury had a few stellar seasons in China after an NBA career that included stints with five teams, and he’s become an iconic figure in the country. He has a statue and was featured on a postage stamp in Beijing, and then he got a museum and a musical in his honor. (AP Photo/Doug Feinberg)NEW YORK — Stephon Marbury had to wipe tears from his eyes.He had just shared a surprising, emotional hug with NYU freshman Zhou Sheng Kang. The 19-year-old student, who grew up in Beijing, was overcome with emotion while standing a few feet away from the player he watched lead his hometown team to three Chinese league championships.ADVERTISEMENT WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa View comments read more
Pippo Inzaghi thanked Bologna fans after he was axed to make way for Sinisa Mihajlovic suggesting he is now an extra supporter.The Coach was dismissed after managing just two wins, eight draws and 11 Serie A defeats this season.“A very important professional experience for my career has concluded,” wrote Inzaghi on Instagram and cited on Football Italia.“It really saddens me to leave Bologna, where over the last few months my staff and I felt great affection and respect.“Now within me I feel the regret and disappointment at not being able to avoid this situation, but I really wish to thank the Bologna fans for their support throughout a difficult and hard-fought season.Mihajlovic is coaching Bologna from his hospital bed Manuel R. Medina – August 24, 2019 Manager Sinisa Mihajlovic has been undergoing chemotherapy after his leukemia diagnosis, but assistant coach Emilio De Leo is helping take care of everything.“I wish you with all my heart the best for the future. From now on, Bologna have an extra supporter.”However, the new manager is confident the team can avoid relegation despite their current predicament.“I am convinced Bologna can avoid relegation,” said the Coach in his Press conference.“It’s a difficult task, but I am confident and believe the players are too. If they aren’t, then I’ll find a way to convince them. If I didn’t believe, I wouldn’t have even come here. I spoke to the squad, we’ll have to rush through some stages, so I asked them for concentration.” read more